Home About Our Club History

Club History

Two brothers, Elmo S. Miller and Arthur S. Miller, had a dream in 1935 to purchase one of the most beautiful pieces of farmland Rome Georgia had to offer, and so they did. Their goal was to transform this land, blessed with an abundance of springs into a wonderfully plush, ahead of it’s time, picture perfect Scottish designed golf course and golfing community.

With many hours of careful planning and even more hours of hard work by 1939 their dream became a reality. Callier Springs Country Club was given life. A weeping willow tree from the grave of Napoleon Bonaparte donated to Calliers was the center focal point of the island in the 7 acre lake, although the willow is no longer there it’s offspring’s are located around the golf course and the lake still today. Not only does this stocked lake supply endless hours of fishing enjoyment for the club members, it also provides the golf course with some very challenging water hazards.

The club house, one of the largest in Rome at that time was also completed in 1939, providing then as it does today a place for a variety of many social events. Experiencing tremendous growth in 1946, shortly after the war the club underwent its first major expansion. The club house received a second story level, featuring many modern improvements. In addition many improvements were made to the course itself.

With these improvements Caller Springs Country Club became one of the show places of Northwest Georgia not only for the entertainment and enjoyment offered by the club facilities but also for the challenging tournaments, including pro-am tournaments.

The course was attracting major golfers from all across America with various skills. Many professional golfers have played the course and always enjoyed the southern hospitality it offered. Hollywood celebrities such as Andy Williams and Dean Martin visited the club for the same reasons.

Callier Springs Country Club presently hosts six major tournaments per year, one of which is a two club charity tournament and another held in June of each year for the district junior tournament. Each Thursday the club offers an afternoon Dogfight Tournament. Mixed scramble tournaments along with others are always a treat for members and their guest.

Arthur S. Miller purchased total interest in Callier Springs Country Club in 1965, thus forming Callier Springs Country Club, Inc. In the early 1990’s the club house underwent yet another major renovation. In 1993, the exclusive men’s lounge was relocated to the second floor. In doing so it provided a more social atmosphere not only for the male members but also the female members. Social hours and activities saw a tremendous increase. The pro shop in addition was opened adding yet again a tremendous income for the club and offered many conveniences for the members. Arthur R. (Rick) Miller, son of Arthur S. Miller purchased adjoining acreage in the early 1990’s thus allowing the club the golden opportunity of expansion of not only the golf facilities, but also any other projects in the future to enhance the development of this beautiful setting.

In 2005,  the sons of Arthur R. (Rick) Miller, Grant R. Miller and Brian P. Miller, acquired shares of the company and now are managing partners.   Three generations of the Miller family have managed and owned Callier Springs in the 75+ years of delighting members and guests.